Monday, December 6, 2010

Pimp my Coffee Table











A few years ago - I participated in a design competition hosted by the Joburg Homemakers Expo, called "Pimp my Coffee Table". Owners of sad coffee tables nominated their furniture for a "make-over". Naturally being a Hot Dip Galvanizing freak, I had to incorporate this element into my design. The owners of my table stated that their home was filled with rich colours and persian carpets - but that I had Carte Blanche to do what I wanted. I wanted to create the effect of a persian carpet - using a Hot Dip Galvanized lazer profile and I filled the voids with mosaic, in rich jewel colours. I've said before that I sometimes think that I'm Jane Durand and this was no exception..:-). The steel content however yielded a very distinct colour variation and Terry Smith from the HDGASA came to the rescue by suggesting that I acid wash the profile to give it a more uniform look. I didn't win, but had GREAT fun doing it (and so did my cat - as you can see). HDG was by Phoenix Galvanizing in Durban, South Africa.




































No comments:

Post a Comment